What better way to find out how ChatGPT will impact the Business Process Services (BPS) market than to ask the trained chatbot itself this question? According to its answers, the future looks promising. But obstacles still need to be overcome. Learn about the latest ChatGPT trends in this second part of our series.
Since OpenAI released ChatGPT for public testing in November 2022, ChatGPT has generated a lot of buzz. Based on initial impressions, the technology holds great promise to enhance and revolutionize many industries, including customer experience, healthcare, logistics, banking, and education, among others.
With all the attention, it’s natural to wonder how ChatGPT will impact the BPS market. And how better than to hear it straight from the bot? So, our analyst logged in on a session with ChatGPT and had a very direct and long conversation. Here’s what we learned:
ChatGPT’s potential to enhance customer experience is fairly well known. It has shown the promise to improve current conversational Artificial Intelligence (AI) solutions and make them sound more human-like, which can significantly change how these services are delivered.
It is already capable of understanding natural language with high accuracy, and with enough training, it can start with taking on simple tasks at contact centers. ChatGPT also can track customer preferences and provide real-time insights that can unlock new opportunities for enterprises.
Exploring ChatGPT trends beyond experience
We were interested in understanding its impact beyond customer experience in other major areas such as back-office, content moderation, and finance and accounting, so we asked ChatGPT.
Below is a summarized finding of how ChatGPT can revolutionize six key areas, according to the conversation. (And we have no reason to believe it might have been exaggerating, unlike, say, an analyst writing something similar).
- Back-office: Can automate back-end processes such as data entry, record keeping, and reporting, freeing up employees for more value-adding work
- Content moderation: Can assist with content moderation by automatically detecting and flagging potentially harmful or inappropriate content, improving efficiency and accuracy compared to manual moderation
- Human resources: Can automate repetitive tasks such as candidate screening, resume filtering, and scheduling interviews, freeing up HR staff for more value-adding work. It can provide quick and accurate responses to candidate inquiries, improving the overall candidate experience and making the hiring process more efficient. Another use is virtual interviewing, making it easier for HR to conduct interviews with candidates located in different locations
- Financial and accounting: Can automate tasks such as invoice processing, expense reporting, and budget tracking, freeing up finance staff for more value-adding work
- Supply chain: Can assist with supply chain management by providing real-time visibility into inventory levels, shipment status, and other supply chain data, enabling companies to make data-driven decisions and optimize their supply chain
- Procurement: Can automate procurement tasks such as vendor management, purchase order creation, and invoice processing, helping procurement teams work more efficiently and effectively
The answers show the technology can potentially have positive repercussions across major areas within BPS. With such huge potential, ChatGPT is expected to impact talent as well. While demand may decline for low-skill jobs such as data entry and transactional customer service, ChatGPT will require new skills such as AI and data analysis, creating new job opportunities in areas such as conversational AI design and deployment. As enterprises adopt ChatGPT and other AI technologies, developing new skills and staying up-to-date with industry trends and advancements will become increasingly important for employees.
While the technology is certainly promising, several factors must be considered for successful implementation, including ethical and legal considerations (such as data privacy and algorithmic bias), integration with existing systems, quality of training data, human oversight, and ongoing development and improvement.
ChatGPT has the potential to significantly impact various areas within BPS. While challenges exist, careful planning and considering factors such as data privacy and ethical implications can lead to successful implementation and ongoing improvement. With careful investments, planning, and further technological advancement, ChatGPT can reach its full potential before too long.
For the first part in our series, see ChatGPT – Can BFSI Benefit from an Intelligent Conversation Friend in the Long Term? To discuss ChatGPT trends, please reach out to Sharang Sharma.